Thursday 9 June 2011

Another nice dish

To my knowledge, the most well-known British dish around the world is fish and chips. There are several countries that serve fish and chips, which either include the dish mixed with some of their own cuisine, or they just try to re-create the dish as close to the British original as much as possible. You ask someone to name a British dish, they'll likely say fish and chips (at least it has been the case in my experience anyway).

Off the top of my head, I cannot think of another British dish that is as famous around the world as fish and chips. However, I can think of a dish within the UK that is nearly as popular as fish and chips, is a very similar meal (it's take-out), but in my opinion, it is tastier: pie and chips.

Pie and chips is a wonderful meal: I first had it over here when my Dad, brother, and I were having fish and chips for the first time since moving back, but Mum had pie and chips instead. She couldn't finish her meal, so I finished it for her, and when I did I thought the pie was the better of the two dishes. So far all fish and chips take-out places I've been to or know about serve pie and chips, with the most popular types of pies being steak and kidney, chicken and mushroom, and beef and onion.

Fish and chips is still a great meal, despite the fact that I think pie and chips is the better of the two. I won't discourage you from eating fish and chips if you either like it or want to try it, but pie and chips is certainly a good alternative!

No comments:

Post a Comment