Monday 18 July 2011

On Fergie's second album

It was about this time five years ago that Fergie (Stacy Ferguson) released her first single, "London Bridge", from her debut and only album The Dutchess. It is hard to believe it has been that long ago: I had always liked her and her vocals from the Black Eyed Peas' music, and I was really looking forward to her solo work. I was not to be disappointed when I heard her music: it was all grand, from catchy tracks like "Fergalicious" to emotional songs such as "Big Girls Don't Cry".

While The Dutchess was a success, five years on, there has not been a second album from her. Over the years I came across information that said she was "going to release it in a few months" or that it was "coming soon", but nothing that was an absolute confirmation, so I dismissed what I read, though I did pay more attention to articles that said she was "working on it".

Even though I think it is unfortunate there has not been a follow-up album to Fergie's debut, I can understand why one has not been released as of now: since The Dutchess, the Black Eyed Peas have had two highly successful albums, so she has been busy with them; but she also got married to Josh Duhamel, and that is certainly a higher priority than a second album.

Of course, in the end it is up to Fergie if she releases a second album or not, but regardless, The Dutchess is one of my favorites in my music collection, and its songs make me think about the period when her solo work was at its most popular on the radio. Anyway, I hear the Black Eyed Peas on the radio nearly every day, so it is not like she is going away anytime soon.

2 comments:

  1. 5 years already?! Jesus. I was a junior in high school then. I was never a fan, but wow. I guess she does have her hands tied with the BEP and Josh Duhamel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It surprised me to learn how long ago it was as well, and I think it's five years to the date of the US release date (though I am not totally sure on that one). I also did a Google search about a second album and found this article: http://www.411mania.com/music/news/165204. Still doesn't appear to be anything concrete.

    ReplyDelete