Thursday 1 September 2011

Aly & AJ

I blogged before about hearing Julian Velard's song "Sentimental" at a store in Littleport, and being glad I heard it. This is not the first occasion where I have heard a song in a store and really liked it: the previous time this occurred was in 2005 during a visit from my grandparents.

We all went to an Ashley Furniture store in Medford, and my parents found a sofa that they found appealing, so they discussed it with each other and with one of the clerks. While this was happening, a song playing from one of the televisions caught my attention: for the next two minutes, I watched the video and listened to the sound of "Do You Believe in Magic" by Aly & AJ (now going by the name "78violet").

This was my introduction to Aly & AJ, and I really liked the song: I took pleasure from the instrumentals that formed the tune, Aly & AJ's vocals, and the overall happy sound to "Do You Believe in Magic". I noted a few of the lyrics to look up when we got back home, and that was my task when I next went on the Internet. During my research I was pleased to see that they had an album out, Into the Rush, and I made sure to ask for it for my birthday later that year (and I received it). To date, Into the Rush is the only Aly & AJ album I own, but I am interested in their second studio album, Insomniatic, and their Christmas release, Acoustic Hearts of Winter.

Whenever I listen to "Do You Believe in Magic", I always think of that afternoon in Ashley Furniture. It seems odd to associate a song with a furniture store, but that merely adds to the charm of the song for me, and besides, I remember it being a beautiful day outside that day.

Regarding the aforementioned sofa, Mum and Dad decided to buy it, though it was ultimately sold in October of 2009, as it was unfeasible to bring to the United Kingdom due to its size. However, I am still listening to and will continue to listen to Aly & AJ's music.

No comments:

Post a Comment