Tuesday 17 April 2012

Carly Patterson

In 2004, Carly Patterson was among the gymnasts for the US women's gymnastics team competing at the Summer Olympics in Greece. During the games, she won a gold medal and her team won a silver; in addition, she was among my favorite Olympians for the 2004 games (with the women's gymnastics being my most favorite event overall). Unfortunately, after the Olympics she had some medical problems, and they were serious enough for her to decide to retire from gymnastics.

After Patterson left gymnastics she started a singing career. During the late summer of either 2008 or 2009, I heard one of her songs for the first time by chance and I really liked it. However, the radio station it had been played on was one I very rarely listened to (KLDR was the station, and my radio had difficulty in picking it up; KIFS 107.5 Kiss FM was my "home" station), so I did not get to hear her again for the remainder of my time in Oregon.

That changed recently when I started thinking of her again and decided to research her music. What I have listened to so far, including the song I heard a few years ago, has been good; even better, her album Back to the Beginning, appears to be available on Amazon.co.uk, meaning I will be able to buy the album over here. I just think it is a shame her music has not received more attention when it is clear she can sing and make good music; I hope she will release more and gain further recognition for it.

Here is a link to Patterson's song "Here I Am":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1S94A4LeGs

2 comments: