Friday 13 April 2012

Newark fire and rescue

I was impressed with this article:

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2012/04/newark_mayor_cory_booker_taken.html

Cory Booker, the mayor of Newark, New Jersey, saved a woman from a burning house in his neighborhood, and in doing so he put himself at risk. Both Booker and the woman he rescued received burns, but fortunately his were minor and she was reported as "stable" while in hospital.

What disappointed me was then reading through a few of the comments on the above article. While the vast majority of people were positive about Booker's actions, I was astounded to see that a few managed to find something to complain about. To me, this was a "human" issue, and politics should not cloud the fact that Booker saved another person's life and could have been killed himself in doing so: I think that he, along with others involved in the rescue, should be commended rather than suspected of committing some sort of "publicity stunt".

2 comments: