Thursday 7 June 2012

The 2005 me on phones

As I have written about previously, during the last Christmas season I received a mobile phone. When I was first given the phone I did not anticipate on using it much; however, for the last few months I have found my phone to be extremely useful, with texting and its stopwatch being the two features I use almost daily. In addition, I have my phone on me almost all the time, as people who have my number know that it is the quickest way to contact me.

This is a huge contrast to the 2005 me...a person who mocked mobile phones and declared that he "would never text because it was stupid". He saw little reason for people to need anything other than a landline, and he never wanted his own mobile phone. If you told him that one day he would not only be texting with other people but also be constantly carrying his mobile phone around with him, he would likely not have believed you; and if you had given him a phone he would have been highly offended.

It should also be noted that where he lived he was outside the range of the local cell phone towers, and thus, any such phones did not have service. It is possible that this factor had an effect on his opinion.

Okay, I will stop referring to myself in the third person now, but the Andrew of 2005-2006 was a vastly different person to who I am today. I am glad I moved on and grew beyond what I used to think about mobile phones and texting (as well my opinions on an array of other topics, but that is off-topic): after all, they are another form of communicating with people, and texting is a brilliant medium for sending a short message to somebody when you need to contact them quickly but would rather not disturb them with a phone call (not to mention that texting back and forth with someone is fun in itself).

Even eight months ago I still did not really have a use for a mobile phone (but I was not hostile to them or to owning one), but now that I have one it is hard to imagine not having one again!

No comments:

Post a Comment