Wednesday 20 June 2012

Foxton Locks images

The Foxton Locks, located on Leicester's line of the Grand Union Canal, are ten locks divided into two sets of staircase locks. Also at the Foxton Locks is the Foxton Inclined Plane.

Here are some of the images I took during our visit there; all were captured with my main camera:

This is the Foxton Inn, a pub. Apparently, the food there is of good quality, but very expensive. We did not order anything from the pub or even go inside the building, but eating there is something to consider next time we go to the locks (or even going there for dinner one evening).

A shot looking up the upper staircase of the Foxton Locks. There is a museum off to the left and slightly behind me, but we did not visit it.

Looking down the upper staircase; the museum I mentioned previously is the building in the background on the right.

Some lilypads in another area of the grounds. We did not see any frogs in the vicinity of the pads, but there were plenty of fish!

A view from an observation deck on the grounds. From here both the Foxton Inclined Plane and some of the rolling hills of Leicestershire can be seen.

A brick/cobbled bridge crossing over one of the canals. There is a quaintness about this type of bridge that I really seem to like...they are both good to look at and fun to walk on.

This mother duck appeared to be teaching her ducklings that humans can provide ducks with food, as she was allowing them to swim up to people and even swimming to people herself. Her lesson was a failure, however, as no one had any bread to give her and her offspring. Maybe next time!

One of the many boat rides located along the bottom of the locks. I would have shot a movie of this boat instead had my camera card not been full.

A shot looking over the canal and back towards the Foxton Inn.

The entire grounds are walkable, and in addition to the pub and musuem there were a couple of smaller stores and another place where one can get something to eat. I think we will go to the Foxton Locks again at some stage and perhaps check out those other parts.

Finally, something partially related to our visit to the Foxton Locks, today we went to Rutland Water, loacted in the county of Rutland. I will be posting pictures of that place soon!

2 comments:

  1. Foxton Locks looks beautiful. I especially love the image of the ducks. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a beautiful place and I'm sure you'd love it. :) I'm glad you love the ducks image, I took a few of the ducks and I'm really glad they turned out well. :)

      Delete