Thursday 3 January 2013

Romney's

The 2012 presidential election in the United States and this recent Christmas reminded me of a gift I received in Christmas of 2010: a Romney's Kendal Mint Cake:

Kendal Mint Cakes are a confectionery originating from Kendal, a town in the North West England county of Cumbria. They are popular with mountaineers, trekkers and to a lesser extent cyclists because of their high energy content and portable size. Kendal Mint Cakes are essentially sweet, minty sugar (picture); some are coated in chocolate.

George Romney Limited are a sweet maker and one of three companies that continue to manufacture the mint cakes in Kendal. According to the company's history, it was named after George Romney, a portrait painter from the 1700s; it was also because the family that founded Romney's lived in a house located on a Romney Road.

Although it's not mentioned on that page, the aforementioned painter is a historical relation - although I am uncertain of whether or not he was a direct ancestor - of Mitt Romney. I don't think it's a stretch to say that a significant amount of people in the United Kingdom (especially those in North West England) would have been more familiar with Romney's Kendal Mint Cakes than the former governor prior to the 2012 United States presidential cycle. The Romney family aren't involved with the company, but given the rarity of the name there had to be a link somewhere.

As for what the mint cakes taste like, I have yet to try any: after two years I have not eaten the one I was given. It was placed in my travel bag and forgotten about; as of now, it is my longest-lasting piece of Christmas candy!

2 comments:

  1. That;s really neat. Are they good at least and a winner? lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As far as I know the company is a success in its own right. The mint cakes are popular.

      I still haven't eaten mine, but my brother said they're good. :)

      Delete