Monday 22 July 2013

Android Easter egg

If you own an Android phone running version Gingerbread (2.3) or above, there is an Easter egg present in the software. If you go into your phone's settings, select "About phone", scroll down to "Android version", and then press multiple times on the version number, the Easter egg will appear, although what egg appears depends on which version you have.

On Gingerbread, the phone comes up with a zombie scene; on Honeycomb (3.0), a bee appears, which will display a bee sound in a text box if you press it; on Ice Cream Sandwich (4.0), the Android robot appears dressed in an ice cream sandwich and if you long-press him, an abundance of robots dressed in ice cream sandwiches will swim across the screen. Finally, on Jelly Bean (4.1), a jelly bean will appear in the middle of screen; long-pressing the bean will replace it with smaller beans, which can be flicked off the screen.

I love Easter eggs in software and it's neat that there is at least one in Android. To my knowledge, this works on any Android phone provided it's version 2.3/Gingerbread or above; I am not aware of any restrictions by region or carrier.

4 comments:

  1. Hmmm, I have to figure out what I have. :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it should tell you into the settings/about phone. :) Then just press several times on the version number and see what it does! If your phone is a fairly new model, chances are it should have Jelly Bean or Ice Cream Sandwich.

      Delete
    2. How do I get there? I'm stupid when it comes to my phone.

      Delete