Thursday 11 July 2013

The "Thankful Villages"

Two days ago, my family and I visited the village of East Carlton, located here in Northamptonshire, to visit the East Carlton Country Park. When we returned home later that day, I did a little research about the place and learnt that it is one of England and Wales' "Thankful Villages".

What is a Thankful Village? Well, the Thankful Villages (also known as "Blessed Villages") are the 51 places in the United Kingdom whose military personnel at the time survived World War I; 14 of those villages then became known as "doubly thankful" when all their soldiers also survived World War II. Unfortunately, there are no places in Northern Ireland or Scotland that hold these titles, and East Carlton is not among the 14 doubly thankful locations.

I'm not sure which is more remarkable, while at the same time deeply saddening and horrifying: that there were a few places in the UK that managed to escape tragedy from the world wars or that nearly every place in the UK did receive at least one fatality from those wars. Either way, it's a reminder that conflicts such as the world wars should not happen again and that we should continue working towards a peaceful planet.

Perhaps what surprised me more that day was telling Mum and Dad that we had visited a Thankful Village: neither had heard of the term before I told them. They're highly knowledgeable about British history and I assumed that this was something they were well-familiar with.

I consider it an honour to have visited East Carlton; I would like to visit it again. I have respect for this village and the others that share in its corner of history.

6 comments:

  1. Neat! No pictures? ;)

    http://clayxmatthewsxfan89.blogspot.com/2013/07/an-evening-with-my-cousin.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm surprised there are that many, to be honest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interestingly enough, I thought there would have been more.

      Delete
  3. You will be pleased to know that there is now one more - Stretton en le Field in Leicestershire was added to the list of Thankful Villages on the Thankful Villages website at Hellfire Corner. Google it and you will find everything you need to know

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You''re right: I am pleased to hear that! Thanks for sharing that piece of information, Mr. Morris, and welcome to my blog! :)

      Delete