Tuesday 3 September 2013

Matlock 2013 pictures

On the 23rd of August, my aunt, uncle, a cousin and I visited Matlock Bath in Derbyshire. Matlock Bath/the Heights of Abraham was the second of two places that I had requested we visit during my first week in Nottingham, with the first being Chiquito, a Mexican restaurant.

When we arrived in Matlock Bath (well, after managing to find a parking space), we went to When the Clock Strikes 3 for lunch. When the Clock Strikes 3 classifies itself as a "Traditional English Tea Shop", serving foods such as sandwiches, cakes, rarebit and "English breakfast". I chose the "English breakfast" because it's not a meal that I had eaten until then.

The easiest and most common way to reach the Heights of Abraham is to ride the cable cars up; however, according to one of the attendants at the cable car ticket stand, it is possible to walk up to the Heights, although it is more difficult than it used to be.

My uncle did not accompany me, my aunt and cousin up to the Heights; he opted to explore Matlock Bath, because, as he said, he's already been up to the Heights over five times before.

A view towards the town of Matlock. The Heights of Abraham and its access points are located in Matlock Bath, the village to Matlock's south, but the whole vicinity is collectively and colloquially known as "Matlock".
This is the Victoria Prospect Tower, which was completed in 1844. It has had two purposes in its time: the tower provided work for the local unemployed while it was under construction and after completion has served to supplement the already-excellent views atop the Heights of Abraham.

To reach the top of the Victoria Prospect Tower, one must climb a narrow-stepped spiral staircase. The priority is for people coming down, as my aunt, cousin and I had to return to the bottom at least twice when we were ascending to allow everyone at the top to return to the bottom.

A view of the Matlock/Matlock Bath countryside from the top of Victoria Prospect Tower.

Before heading back to the ground, I ensured I took at least one picture of the tower's wall while looking down from its top. I was about 40 feet above the ground, as stated in the next photo.

The information sign for the Victoria Prospect Tower. I am still surprised that the tower is only 40ft high...when you're climbing those narrow stairs and reach the top it feels as though it is much higher!

This is a view looking down towards Matlock Bath, taken from near to the gift shop. It's the last picture I took on this trip to the Heights of Abraham.

My uncle re-joined us after we had exited the Heights of Abraham. He was enjoying an ice cream and said that there are a few other places to check out in Matlock Bath besides the Heights of Abraham; should we visit again, I looking forward to seeing them.

2 comments:

  1. Haha, I love the name of that store. :) Very unique pictures, looks like a very awesome place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a neat name, isn't it. :) Yes, Matlock Bath/the Heights of Abraham is an amazing place.

      Delete