Tuesday 18 March 2014

About those "Nice Guys"...

Note: this is somewhat of a follow-up to the two posts I wrote rejecting the notion of the "Friend Zone"; see here and here.

Several years ago I read that women don't like nice guys. Back then I did not understand what this meant and I wrongly assumed that much of what I'd been taught and told about being a decent person was false, especially when it came to love, dating and relationships. I was baffled as to why women would be attracted to men who would be disrespectful or outright degrading towards them when people - both men and women - had taught me that women appreciate being treated with respect and politeness. Fortunately, I had misunderstood what "Nice Guy" meant and I'm pleased to say that I have now long since learnt the difference between what constitutes a "Nice Guy" versus a good man. So what is the difference?

Nice Guys are only interested in women for sex, nothing more. They appear to go at great lengths to be nice to women and specifically to women, but their "kindness" is factitious: they often go overboard to the point where their behaviour is creepy and this usually overdone niceness is just an act to manipulate women into having sex with them. A Nice Guy believes that pretending to be nice to a woman is all that's needed to bed her; he doesn't or won't understand why any woman would refuse him. In his mind, he went to all the trouble to treat her like any living and breathing human should be treated and believes that it's only fair that she reward him with sex; she wasn't supposed to be just reciprocally kind to him.

Nice Guys usually aren't interested in committed relationships; to them, women are just sexual vending machines and once the "niceness coins" have been inserted, they expect payout. Most if not all Nice Guys see sex with their target woman as the goal and once that goal has been achieved, they disassociate themselves with her, not wanting to be any more involved beyond satisfying their own selfish needs. Love and genuine caring between two people are almost always alien concepts to Nice Guys, and for them, having a friendship with a woman is a failure because there is no sex involved.

A good man, on the other hand, is kind to women because he understands that treating women respectfully is one of their fundamental rights as human beings. His demeanour is genuine, not at all a ploy just to have sex and he does not consider a friendship with a woman to be a failure. He does not view women as sex objects, nor does he regard all other men as competitors and therefore doesn't constantly overreact with aggression and excess jealousy towards them. A good man places value in relationships and doesn't view sex as the only factor that matters during them. His authenticity does not make him immune from having a broken heart and he will still experience bitterness, but his respect for women prevents him from blaming or hating all women just because one turned him down or hurt him.

Unfortunately, there are men who misunderstand the definition of a Nice Guy and they assume that women desire being degraded and/or only respect men who use their fists. What worries me here is that this misunderstanding might lead to some of these men becoming rude jerks at best or committing violence against women at worst; even during the days when I completely misunderstood what Nice Guy meant, I never believed that deliberately mistreating women was key to being attractive to them, but not all men think as I do. I sincerely hope that no man has ever misunderstood the term in this manner and ended up overreacting as such, but my concern lingers; it's imperative that men and women fully understand what separates Nice Guys from good men.

I should note that sexual desire itself does not transform a good man into a Nice Guy. A good man will still have his own romantic and sexual interests, as nearly all men (and also women) do, but it's not the only thing that's important to him during his interactions with women and he also cares about his girlfriend's/wife's sexual needs, unlike Nice Guys, who only care about their own. There is nothing shameful about wanting to have sex, but no person should ever be exploited or deceived for another person to obtain it.

Without wanting to distract or deflect from this post's main topic, I am sure that there is a female equivalent of Nice Guys (possibly called Nice Girls?); it's also likely that Nice Guys have their equivalents among the LGBT community, but I don't know enough about these counterparts to give an informed opinion about them. If they do exist, I'm sure they receive the same cold reception that Nice Guys do.

At the end of the day, people should be kind to others, men and women alike, because it's what they should do as good humans. I hold the optimistic opinion that, regardless of gender, if someone is a genuinely nice person then their attractive qualities will be noticed and they will quickly find themselves in a relationship, but if they're only nice just to trick others into having sex with them, then their attractive traits will be clouded by that veil of deception.

8 comments:

  1. A great post! I agree with a lot of the points you've made here. :)

    Yeah, I do think there's a female equivalent to the Nice Guys, but I don't think they receive nearly as much flak as Nice Guys do - well on the internet anyway. A reddit thread comment said the "Princess"/"I'm not like the other girls" stereotype is the female equivalent and I think it's not far off. They wrote: "The equivalent of the "Nice Guy" is the "Princess" who expects guys to shower her with constant attention and validation because she is so "special," then gets upset when dudes don't live up to her unrealistic expectations.
    The whininess is the same:
    "I'm a NICE GUY, you owe me sex/validation!"
    "I'm a PRINCESS, you owe me love/validation!""
    And then, of course, the "I'm not like the other girls" stereotype would constantly berates other women for doing typical female things e.g. wear make-up, skirts, go shopping etc. and believing that she's so much better/superior because she's not "catty like every woman is" and she's "like one of the boys". Again, feeds into the "I'm special" idea as seen in the "princess" stereotype. But really said thinking is flawed as it re-inforces the idea that to be seen as male or having masculine qualities (or a "tomboy") is to be superior and to be female or having mostly feminine qualities is to be inferior - but that's another rant altogether.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jen! I'm glad we agree. :)

      Thanks for providing some insight into the female equivalents. I have heard of those types of women before but for some reason I never thought about them being in a similar boat to Nice Guys.

      Delete
    2. YES Jen, you are totally on point! There is nothing wrong with a women wanting to do "stereotypical" women activities. There is, however, something wrong with other women (and men) who berate her for those activities, claiming they're better for not participating.

      Delete
    3. It's her life and her choices; she should be able to perform those activities without any sort of criticism! :)

      Delete
  2. Interesting! I guess those "nice guys" I liked weren't "good men" after all, as I learned usually the hard way. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, they weren't good men. :(

      I'm glad you found the post interesting. :)

      Delete
  3. I totally agree with most of what you said (I especially liked the last paragraph, very true)! I do think there is another side to the "nice guy" thing. A nice guy isn't just someone who wants to have sex with a woman so he's overly nice, but is someone who is afraid. Afraid to lose someone or say the wrong thing or be himself or whatever reason. He's nice to the point of fault, he doesn't call women out or stand up for himself when it's appropriate, he doesn't engage in lighthearted banter or make jokes or do normal things that show one's true personality for fear of offending a women. Women don't like guys who are TOO nice because when that's the case it seems like you're hiding something. Stand up for yourself when she's being "crazy girl" (as I like to call it -- it happens to the best of us), make jokes, don't be too nice all the time and you'll be a good man instead of a "nice guy." :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have heard about those types of nice guys before but I wasn't sure how to fit them into this particular post. As you said, those men are excessively nice to the point of not having any sort of opinion or sense of humor, but unlike the Nice Guys I've written about here, they're not necessarily acting in bad faith. Essentially, such men are boring.

      I'm glad you like the last paragraph; I was quite pleased with that one. :)

      Delete