Sunday 9 March 2014

Chocolate icing and hot cross buns

Do you remember the icing that was made for my birthday cake from last year? My brother and I made another batch of that type of icing:

What caused us to make more of it? Well, these did:

Hot cross buns! Hot cross buns are essentially sweet rolls with raisins and are eaten as a dessert. My parents and brother put all sorts of condiments on their hot cross buns but I don't, usually; however, I did recommend making the icing again, as that was something I thought would be tasty on hot cross buns. The result? Pure deliciousness.

The hot cross buns, which were bought from a store, are now finished and there is a pot of the icing still left over. Fortunately, this scenario was anticipated: my brother made a cake so that the remaining icing could be used for that, although eating the icing straight of the pot did hold some appeal.

If anyone is interested, I will try to obtain the recipe for the icing.

6 comments:

  1. I've never had hot cross buns, I need to try making it. :)

    Everything looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Someone has a serious sweet tooth!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'd be surprised...I eat fewer sweet foods than my blog might otherwise indicate. :)

      Delete
  3. It seems like raisins are more common in sweets over there than they are in the US. That frosting looks delicious - I'm sure it could make just about anything taste good :) YUM!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it depends where you are, as small stores can sometimes sell a greater variety of desserts than large commercial branches. I seem to recall having raisin-based desserts in the US, such as raisin muffins.

      And yes, the frosting is excellent! :)

      Delete