Wednesday 18 June 2014

The empty fairground

My brother and I walked to a local fair this morning. We decided to attend it in the morning because the fair took place in another town; also, because we had a long walk, we didn't want to be out in the heat for an extended period. It was a good plan...until we got to the fair.

What happened? The fair wasn't open! We were too early. The facilities were set up and the town centre was occupied by the the fairground, but the area was empty. For the first time that I can recall, my brother and I were in an empty fairground, and it was an extremely eerie place to be. The eeriness that I felt from being there was most likely influenced by films I've seen that featured empty fairgrounds to symbolise deserted town and cities.

Fortunately, the fair lasts for a week, so we're going to try again tomorrow. In the afternoon.

4 comments: