Thursday 17 July 2014

Photo enhancement clarification

In yesterday's post, I included a picture that had been enhanced with an HDR filter; as a result, the image looked fantastic. However, I want to state right now that up until that point, none of the pictures I had posted had been retouched, save for cropping or the occasional blurring out of a plate on a vehicle.

While I now have the ability to enhance pictures and post them, I will only do so rarely; I prefer to post untouched photographs taken with my phone and main camera. I think I would be cheating if I constantly posted heavily modified images rather than made the effort to take decent pictures. Imagine if this blog contained recordings of me singing, but I Auto-Tuned myself: it wouldn't be right. Better to make it impressive in the first place.

So that's my position on enhanced images. They look amazing, but I prefer natural pictures; touched images will be rare here. My phone and camera don't produce HDR photographs and I should not give the illusion that they do.

6 comments:

  1. I'm guilty of almost always clicking on Auto-Enhance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, if you do that, it's fine with me! :) (Not that you need my approval, of course.)

      Delete
  2. I feel the same way! Although sometimes I do love making the photos black and white or redder or bluer... but not often. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. All digital photos get processed in some way so you shouldn't feel like you cheated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, but I'd prefer to cut down on the processing as much as possible.

      Delete