Saturday 30 August 2014

Fortunate observations

I went into Nottingham's city centre this afternoon with two of my cousins and the girlfriend of a cousin who wasn't present. I needed some new clothes (socks and a pair of pants), which was interesting because on every other shopping trip in Nottingham I'm accompanying others when they're buying clothes for themselves. We found the clothing I needed within the first forty-five minutes of our time together and we had a free afternoon to engage in other activities.

Near the end of the afternoon, we went into a bookstore. One of my cousins and I decided to sit down in the coffee shop area rather than look for books (prefer Kindles!). We had a little bite to eat when my other cousin and non-present cousin's girlfriend joined us. After chatting for a short while, we then left the bookstore.

Two minutes after we left the bookstore, I felt my pockets and noticed that my money, which I kept in a resealable bag, was missing. I checked all of my pockets and confirmed that my money was not on me; it had obviously slipped out while we had been sat at the coffee table. I rushed back to the bookstore to see if I could retrieve it. Fortunately for me, a waitress had found it and was talking about it to a fellow waiter and another customer. They noticed both me and my being out of breath, so when the waitress asked if the money was mine, I said yes and that I had rushed back up to find it. She untagged my money from the shop's missing items list and then handed it back to me; I hugged her to express my thanks (I also said thank you). Besides my obvious exhaustion, they also knew it was my money because it was in a bag and the waiter had seen me with the bag of money when I made my purchase.

I was fortunate for two reasons. One: when I'm out, I always check my pockets every five minutes; if something seems to be missing, I make the effort to find it (although one could say that I should have checked before I left the shop, but that was a brief lapse and I won't make that error again). The second was that the waitress found the money and was in the process of reporting it being missing; somebody less honest than her might have kept it for themselves.

Again, this is a mistake I'm not going to make for a second time; I usually check my pockets before I'm about to leave a place but I forgot on this occasion. I'm lucky that I was able to retrieve my money, and that waitress is an honest and kind soul.

8 comments:

  1. Very relieved everything worked-out perfectly! Your waitress is a lovely person. I want to hug her too. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've lost my purse on several occasions, and nice people have always turned it in. Except for once...at a McDonalds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another good reason for you to not go there. :o At least all the other people were honest enough to return it to you.

      Delete
  3. Awww, the UK sounds nicer than here! That rarely happens here. I remember having money and a towel stolen from me when I was 10. I remember something similar happened to me in Germany, but it was my camera and the German person held it for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be fair, there are people here who would have stolen it and there are plenty of people in the US who would be just as honest as the waitress.

      Delete