Wednesday 3 September 2014

First class

My first class at college was this morning. My lessons on Wednesdays will focus on employability, such as practising CV writing and teamwork; however, as this was my group's first day, the time allocated for the lesson was an induction/introduction to provide students with information. We had a brief tour of the college, followed by a short lesson about the library and its resources. When we returned to the classroom, we then got to know a little bit about our fellow classmates, and discuss our hopes and concerns about our course.

I liked who will be my teacher for the employability classes; she was patient, calm and helpful, and was effective at using humour to deal with problems. I also like how students are encouraged to ask questions; as I am new to the British education system, I will find this useful.

My only criticism of the day is that I don't feel like I really met any of my fellow students and thus, didn't make any friends. That being said, this was the first day and I'm hopeful that I will make friends as the school year progresses and people become more comfortable.

We are expected to have a heavy workload, which I was anticipating. It is possible that this will cut into my time to blog; if so, I will end up missing days, which will be a first for me. I didn't expect to maintain a post per day for this long, so if I'm reduced to writing only two or three posts a week, it's something that is far overdue.

Overall, I had a good time at the college this morning. I'm curious to see what tomorrow and Friday will bring.

4 comments:

  1. Sometimes it takes me a year to make friends! Glad it went well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to college life and cutting back on blogging. :D I think work life is much the same.

    I'm so glad you had such a good day! The British school system sounds better than here! I can't wait to hear your updates.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I expected to cut back on blogging one day. :)

      I can't really compare them; as I wrote before, it's been 17 years since I was last in the American public school system.

      Delete