Monday 8 September 2014

Fourth class

Today's Mathematics class was surprisingly short. The math teacher wasn't present; instead, another teacher was there, who gave us all a math(s) assessment. Unlike the assessments that we all did last Friday, which we completed on computers, this was done entirely on paper. We all finished this new assessment in either just under or just over an hour. After that, we all left.

None of us could work out why we had another math(s) assessment or why that was the only task we had to do this afternoon. While no one had any complaints about the day's low workload, one student was concerned about what would happen if someone scored low on the assessment, such as if they would be removed from the course. I think I did okay; I think I had a better performance on the written test than I did on the computer-based math(s) test.

With any luck, next Monday should include a proper mathematics lesson, to be taught by the proper teacher.

8 comments:

  1. It's odd that they keep giving you assessments on the first day of class. You'd think your teachers would have access to the assessments you already took, or at least know the appropriate level of math to teach before the course starts (should the University place students in level appropriate classes to begin with?!). Hopefully things get into a better flow soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The course I applied for was appropriate for the level I math I scored during my initial assessment, so these extra assessments are bizarre. I'm fine with it as long as it helps me to get a good grade at the end of the year!

      Delete
  2. Is math once a week? I hope everyone did well! I used to struggle with math.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All my classes are once a week. I'm not sure how everyone else did; I only spoke to one student afterwards and she didn't think that she did very well.

      Delete
    2. Ah, nice! Here, classes are either twice or thrice a week. Usually the one week classes were 3 hours.

      Delete
    3. Yeah, I just have one three-hour math class per week. :)

      Delete
  3. Computer glitch?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I doubt it. I think it's just something we have to do. :o

      Delete