Sunday 19 October 2014

London October 2014 images

Three days ago, I visited London on a college-organised trip. The primary objective was for the students to visit a museum - the Natural History Museum, the Science Museum or the Imperial War Museum - but we were free to explore the city if we so chose. Nine people from my class - a figure that included me - were present on the trip.

A view of some traffic in London from the coach. Once we arrived at London's city limits, at least half an hour elapsed before we reached our first destination - the Natural History Museum and the Science Museum.

The Houses of Parliament as seen from the coach. I'll write more about this building later in this post.

These are some aircraft on display in the entrance hall of the Imperial War Museum. Of the nine people from my class who were present on the trip, eight of us opted to visit the Imperial War Museum. The eight of us who went to the Imperial War Museum separated into two groups once we were there: one group had five while the other, which I was in, had three.

These posters are located in an area dedicated to women's involvement in World War II, such as the work women performed in building machinery or treating injured soldiers.

These posters are located in the American segment of the World War I exhibition. The posters were used to stir up support for American military involvement in that war, on the side of the Allies.

I took few pictures inside the museum because I wanted to look at the various exhibits, not photograph everything while seeing nothing.

This is the Palace of Westminster, which is colloquially known as the Houses of Parliament. The tower on the right should be familiar: it's the Clock Tower/Elizabeth Tower, in which Big Ben is located. Remember my early blog post about this?

This enormous Ferris wheel is the London Eye, which is also known as the Millennium Wheel. My friends and I did not ride the London Eye, as we were merely on a walk to the area of London that contained the Eye and the Houses of Parliament; we weren't visiting any of the attractions located there. The vantage point from which we photographed these structures is the Westminster Bridge. Quite a few selfies were taken!

This is the front of the Imperial War Museum. It amazed me how small the building appears from the outside; as can be seen from the image with the aircraft on display, the inside is enormous.

When we departed from the Imperial War Museum at 5:30pm, it was still light outside. Half an hour later, it was close to darkness. The coach returned to the college after 9:30, where I had to wait for around twenty minutes for my grandfather to collect me. Overall, I had an awesome day.

8 comments:

  1. Wonderful pictures, Andrew! I really want to visit now! :) Sounds wonderful and like a great experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder where the person went who opted out of the Imperial War Museum excursion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your trip sounds like it was a lot of fun. Your pictures make me miss London, it's such a gorgeous city!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was amazing!

      Please do let me know when you come here again. :)

      Delete