Wednesday 21 January 2015

Poetry control

I will experience a long day at college tomorrow. I have Sociology as usual in the afternoon but at 9:00am my next English control (or test or exam, if you prefer) will take place. This control is one that has worried me, as it involves analysing poetry; in particular, poetry from World War I.

Poetry analysing is something that I hadn't done until attending college, so this is part of English is new to me. Unfortunately, due to our being behind in English the poetry lessons were rushed and I would have preferred more time to learn about analysing poetry; what also doesn't help is that the control lasts one hour and twenty, which is forty minutes shorter than the previous two controls (a radio script and a fictional story).

As hard as this control will be, I will navigate my way through it and complete it, as is expected of me. English is still my strongest subject and I am noted for my skills in that area...one tough control won't change that!

6 comments:

  1. Good luck! My favorite WWI poem is this:

    In Flanders Fields
    by John McRae

    In Flanders fields the poppies blow
    Between the crosses, row on row,
    That mark our place; and in the sky
    The larks, still bravely singing, fly
    Scarce heard amid the guns below.


    We are the Dead. Short days ago
    We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
    Loved and were loved, and now we lie
    In Flanders fields.

    Take up our quarrel with the foe:
    To you from failing hands we throw
    The torch; be yours to hold it high.
    If ye break faith with us who die
    We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
    In Flanders fields.

    http://www.theweek.co.uk/arts-life/59798/twelve-great-first-world-war-poems

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poetry isn't my favorite. When I took a writing class, everybody picked poetry over fiction. They wrote short poems...lazy teenagers in that particular class.

    ReplyDelete